Climbing the Pic du Midi d'Ossau
You want to climb an emblematic summit of the Pyrenees? You can do it alone or with your friends with a High Mountain Guide for the day... Set out to conquer the Pic du Midi d'Ossau and its 2884 m of altitude.
The Pic du Midi d'Ossau, the mythical summit of the valley, rises to 2884 metres and is the emblem of the valley and of Bearn. This ancient volcano dominates the surrounding mountain range and offers a unique panorama from its summit. Ossau is an internationally renowned climbing area and you will quickly understand why when you see the walls of Pombie!
The ascent of the Pic du Midi d'Ossau by the normal route, starting from the Pombie hut is the easiest itinerary, it is the one chosen by our guides to take you to the summit!
The main difficulty is linked to the length of the hike and its difference in altitude (10 to 12 hours of walking and more than 1000m of difference in altitude), so you need to be a good walker. There are 3 climbing passages where it is necessary to be roped up: these are chimneys (steep passages in a wide crack) of about twenty metres which do not require a regular climber.
per person(from 1 to 6 people) Every Friday
Advance booking essential
The activity In detail
- Location: Laruns, Ossau Valley
- From the end of June / beginning of July (depending on snow conditions) to the end of September
- 5.30am - 5pm
Levels / Difficulties
The difficulty is mainly due to the size of the race, 10 hours of walking, with a difference in altitude of more than 1500 m. A long day of hiking, often in rocky terrain.
The climbing passages are not a problem if you are comfortable with the height.
- Be in good physical condition, be a good walker, be used to hiking all day, with off-path passages and a lot of difference in altitude.
- Having already practiced climbing is a plus, it is even essential if you are not at ease at heights
- Minimum age 14 years
The activity is supervised by our mountain guides, partner members of Aventure Chlorophylle (Thomas Bergès, Benjamin Courant)
Max. 6 participants.
- Collective equipment: ropes, etc.
It will be communicated to you when you make your reservation.
You must plan for
- Clothing for the mountains
- Hiking shoes with high grip
- Backpack, windbreaker + fleece
- Water bottle (2 l/pers.)
- In case of biscuits / cereal bars
- Sunglasses / sun cream
- No credit card for payment on sitePlease bring a cheque or cash (with a deposit if possible).
Although it is preferable to have already practised roped climbing, the mountaineering passages are accessible to novices used to hiking in steep areas.
In the chimneys, your guide Thomas or Benjamin will rope you up to ensure you are safe. Even if these passages are steep, it will not be necessary to learn how to abseil: on the way down, your feet and hands will be enough as there are so many holds. However, the rope will always be there, ready to hold you in case you slip.
Two types of outings are possible for the ascent of the Ossau:
- group outing : Registration possible even if you are alone, this outing brings together participants to form a group of 4 to 6 people. A minimum of 4 people is required to start. One group outing per week is organised every Friday from the beginning of July to the end of September.
- private outing : The guide's commitment to you alone, you will not be grouped with other participants, departure is guaranteed regardless of the number of participants.
- Via Ferrata
- Via Cordata
- MOUNTAIN BIKE
- Catering Parking