Climbing the Pic du Midi d'Ossau
You want to climb a emblematic summit of the Pyrenees ? You can do it on your own or with your friends with a High Mountain Guide for the day... Set off to conquer the Pic du Midi d'Ossau and its 2884 m altitude.
The Pic du Midi d'Ossau, the valley's legendary peak at 2884 metres, is the emblem of the valley and Béarn. This ancient volcano dominates the surrounding mountain range and offers a unique panorama from its summit. Ossau is internationally renowned for its climbing routes, and you'll soon understand why when you see the walls of Pombie!
Climbing the Pic du Midi d'Ossau via the normal route, from the Pombie refuge is the easiest route, and the one chosen by our guides to take you to the summit!
The main difficulty lies in the length of the route and the difference in altitude. (10h to 12h of walking and over 1000m of ascent), so you'll need to be a good walker. The climbing passages where it is necessary to be roped up There are 3 of these: they are chimneys (steep passages in a wide fissure) about twenty metres long that do not require you to be a regular climber.
per person(from 1 to 6 people) Every Friday
Advance booking essential
The activity In detail
- Location: Laruns, Ossau Valley
- From the end of June / beginning of July (depending on snow conditions) to the end of September
- 5.30am - 5pm
Levels / Difficulties
The difficulty is mainly due to the size of the race, 10 hours of walking, with a difference in altitude of more than 1500 m. A long day of hiking, often in rocky terrain.
The climbing passages are not a problem if you are comfortable with the height.
- Be in good physical condition, be a good walker, be used to hiking all day, with off-path passages and a lot of difference in altitude.
- Having already practiced climbing is a plus, it is even essential if you are not at ease at heights
- Minimum age 14 years
The activity is supervised by our mountain guides, partner members of Aventure Chlorophylle (Thomas Bergès, Benjamin Courant)
Max. 6 participants.
- Collective equipment: ropes, etc.
It will be communicated to you when you make your reservation.
You must plan for
- Clothing for the mountains
- Hiking shoes with high grip
- Backpack, windbreaker + fleece
- Water bottle (2 l/pers.)
- In case of biscuits / cereal bars
- Sunglasses / sun cream
- No credit card for payment on sitePlease bring a cheque or cash (with a deposit if possible).
Although it is preferable to have already practised roped climbing, the mountaineering passages are accessible to novices used to hiking in steep areas.
In the chimneys, your guide Thomas or Benjamin will rope you up to ensure you are safe. Even if these passages are steep, it will not be necessary to learn how to abseil: on the way down, your feet and hands will be enough as there are so many holds. However, the rope will always be there, ready to hold you in case you slip.
Two types of outings are possible for the ascent of the Ossau:
- group outing : Registration possible even if you are alone, this outing brings together participants to form a group of 4 to 6 people. A minimum of 4 people is required to start. One group outing per week is organised every Friday from the beginning of July to the end of September.
- private outing : The guide's commitment to you alone, you will not be grouped with other participants, departure is guaranteed regardless of the number of participants.
- Via Ferrata
- Via Cordata
- MOUNTAIN BIKE
- Catering Parking